On a special day for us, I share a cherished memento of Mrs RTC’s and my early days together in Shanghai.
It took time for her to build up the courage to trust this infidel with the serious task of shopping at the local wet market. She did not let me embark on the test without instructions and training.
- look around, listens to quotes;
- asks around, & compare (avoid front);
- bargain price
- pick (yourself)
- shrimp – jumping, big, fresh, avoid dead
- vege[tables] – less water, fresh looking
- fruit – avoid rotten under
- Weight eg 2 kuai / 1 jin [ 2 RMB per jin (roughly 500 grams)], [diagram of scale] weight / price x 2 / total; 00 to start, look here for price.
- no water in shrimp basket
- 00 to start with
- plastic trick holds water [sealing colander holes to prevent water draining]
- change bag, stick to the same bag [vendors swapping bags to substitute poor quality items]
- do not let it get out of your sight
- do not let them pick behind [turn their back to you]
Thank you dear, as always!