Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
Ireland, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Andaman Islands. 2012 clean-up by Matthew at Live and Let’s Fly lifted me off my tuckus to do my own 2012 spring cleaning, starting with Ireland.
Readers have requested that I be a bit more systematic in a term that I loathe, ‘trip reports.’ I am supposed to do trip reports for work, and this blog is hobby, so I prefer the affectation of ‘travelogue.’
I will provide more detail, starting each with an overview of the planning, and will run one trip at a time, the past I confused things by mixing past and present. I am experimenting with the trip mapping feature of go pro travelling, so far I cannot get the maps to embed on the strict confines of WordPress/Boarding Area, reader suggestions welcome. Not going to be reviewing flights or hotels, not my thing.
When: November 30-December 3, 2012
- Friends Rick and Deb
- Republic of Ireland: Dublin, Brú na Bóinne
- Northern Ireland: Giant’s Causeway, Bushmills, Londonderry/Derry
- Air: Delta JFK-DUB via ATL (lunch with friends) roundtrip
- Land: National Car Rental, serviced by EuropCar (tip: I have a Diners Club card that covers rental in Ireland and had the hard copy policy terms, otherwise I would have been nailed with a massive insurance charge, most US-issued credit cards exclude Ireland and not many alternatives to avoid paying up; if you have a card that provides coverage, be sure to bring the policy documents or letter of coverage)
- Day 1:
- Overnight flight to Dublin
- Day 2:
- 6 am arrive Dublin
- 8 am Pick up Rick and Deb at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
- 10 am first group into UNESCO-listed Brú na Bóinne
- 4 pm arrive UNESCO-listed Giant’s Causeway
- Overnight in Ballycastle
- Day 3:
- 8 am Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
- 10 am Giant’s Causeway with some daylight
- Bushmills Distillery and lunch
- 2pm Dunluce Castle
- 3 pm National Trust-listed Downhill Demesne and Hezlett House
- 5 pm swing through heavily raining Londonderry/Derry
- Back to Dublin, drop off Rick and Deb
- Overnight at Hilton Dublin Airport
- Day 4:
- Early flight from Dublin
All aboard, the RTC Paddy-wagon!
Readers, anything I’ve left out? I did not include costs, to confess I didn’t keep the best records, and most of the information is publicly available and subject to personal preferences.