Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
Ireland, Italy and Israel are commonly excluded by the auto rental collision damage waiver (CDW) coverage of US-issued credit cards. Other countries appear, Jamaica is common, Australia, too.
Coverage terms are typically not provided online so I always study the hard copy terms when I get a new credit card. Last December I was surprised to see that my new Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card does not exclude ANY countries. In other respects it is typical credit card CDW coverage:
- Excludes “Off-road, antique or limited edition vehicles are excluded, as are trucks, recreational vehicles, campers, pick-up trucks and mini-buses.”
- Must charge entire rental to the credit card
- Must reject CDW from the rental agency
- Per rental coverage maximum of 31 consecutive days
- Maximum reimbursement of US$50,000
- Coverage is secondary, relevant only if you have auto insurance applicable to that country
- Covers only damage to the rental vehicle, meaning it is typical CDW; coverages such as liability and theft are not included (no credit card covers these)
- Plus all the typical fine print
General coverage questions: 1-866-934-1138, Mon-Fri, 7am-7pm, CT.
Claims: 1-866-491-1031, Mon-Fri, 7am-7pm, CT, claim form is here.
There are currently 2 versions of the personal ThankYou® credit cards open for new applications:
- Citi ThankYou® Premier Card (no foreign transaction fee, but $125 annual fee)
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card (3% foreign transaction fee, no annual fee)
Currently the sign-up bonuses offered on the Preferred range from 10k-15k, best to wait for 40k-50k.
From what I can see online, the Premier and regular ThankYou® also have the coverage from Chubb. I do not personally have those cards, so make sure to verify your card terms.
The critical thing, as I learned in Ireland is to have the hard copy terms of coverage or even better, a letter confirming coverage. Europcar insisted on verifying coverage for Ireland and made photocopies of my coverage. If you do not have your coverage terms, contact Citi to request a copy be mailed to you. (Note: my Ireland rental was with my Diners Club card, I did not at the time have the ThankYou® Preferred; the procedure is the same, though.)