The miles and points hobby is a real slog. Lots of tasks, endless exhortations to ‘HURRY!’ for the latest $5 off $100 at Amalgamated Spats, things always in process to track and maintenance on those gone awry. A combination of a week in China behind the Great Firewall then a week hosting my nieces have shut down most of my activity. It only takes a day of semi-parenting to, at day’s close, want no part of any extra task before collapsing in bed while piles of dishes and smoothie bottles encircle the sink. Then they discover my wife’s reserve coconut water supply and new pandemonium.
So here’s what caught my eye and others acted upon:
- Making Sense of the Virgin Airline Frequent Flyer Programs (View from the Wing). Good to cut through the Virgin muddle.
- Aeromexico begins Boston service (Travel Weekly). Another SkyMiles/SkyTeam option out of the US.
- Award Routing Rules on American Airlines (Travel Codex). Good to know and read through the comments.
- What No One Else Will Tell You About Booking Delta Awards (One Mile at a Time). The deceit runs deep.
- United Will End All Flights From JFK Later This Year; Grab Lie-Flat Award Seats Now… (Dan’s Deals). So ends the era of United putting its crappiest planes on the hub transcon runs. That A319 EWR-SFO/LAX experience is grim.
- Choice Privileges competitive edge is suites on points (Loyalty Traveler). Lots of value to be mined in Choice.
- Club Carlson Country Inns & Suites Up To 10,000 Bonus Points Per Stay June 1 – September 7, 2015 (LoyaltyLobby). Need to stay 2 nights in the Americas and use the app to book to get the full 10k.
- How I Found “Hidden” Hyatt Award Availability and Is it Unethical to Book an ADA Hotel Room? (both Mommy Points). Easy for me to forget how things blow out of proportion on the internet. It seems it must be a regular process for hotels to manage ADA room inventory, and in cases where it is absolutely needed with no alternate hotel acceptible, presumably the hotel calls those booked to verify their needs and swap rooms if possible. There are so many hotel options most every that I can’t get worked up about this.
- American Express Makes Significant Improvements To Their Fine Hotels & Resorts Websites (Doctor Of Credit). I long ago gave up checking this with the clunky, old website. Some will spend find good value, or rationalize it.
- Transfer SPG Points Between Family Member Accounts for Free (Revised Steps) (Travel with Grant). Now reportedly down to 3-5 business days. Club Carlson is instant. What’s the deal, SPG?
- Best Use of Hertz Points (Travel Is Free). Includes an example of the most annoying type of comment in this hobby, the smug, I know more than you plus emoticon wink without imparting any useful info.
- Roundup Of Changes To Premier Rewards Gold And Starwood Consumer And Business Cards (Dan’s Deals). The PRG gets a little more interesting and it is mostly good news for the Starwood cards for those who frequent SPG properties, while those who jsut have the cards for the points may not swallow the new annual fee.
- Do Not Miss The Platinum Delta Business Card’s 60,000 Mile Offer! (Running with Miles). The best non-targeted offer I have seen on this card.
- FIA AMEX waives my finance charges as a one-time courtesy (Miles per Day). I made the same mistake with them this spring on my first monthly statement. FIA interface may be the worst I have seen, and I still have not successfully set up recurring auto-pay.
- In My failed (but profitable) Prestige 4th Night Free experiment, and an accidental redo (FrequentMiler) Jamie comments about issues using Hyatt Gift Cards. I once did a deal for Marriott gift cards for my father. You can choose any of the Marriott brands as the image on the cards, though they can be used at any brand. After numerous hotels refused to swipe ones with a different brand on the face, my father nearly threw them away. No more for him, ever. Happy Father’s Day!