Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
I realize not many of even the most hardcore runners will make that run, what I want to highlight is the success of the first race in 2015.
- Zainab became the first Afghan woman to run a marathon in her country
- 120 runners participated in the marathon and associated 10-km race
- Race was in Bamian Province, home to the colossal Buddhas statues destroyed by the Taliban, and now one of the most stable parts of the county
Here are English and French reports on the race:
The race is organized by:
- Free to Run, a non-profit dedicated to sports for Afghan women
- Untamed Borders, a travel agency specializing in difficult areas that I highlighted yesterday for their Journey to the Largest Italian Fascist Statue in the World at the Tip of the Horn of Africa
- The Afghan Ski Challenge
These are people who have not given up on a land many have written off.
Take a look, be inspired, consider a vote of support for this great effort.