Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
Citi is incredibly flexible in allowing credit card product changes.
Why Product Change a Citi Credit Card?
- You want a card that has little or no sign-up bonus, though its points earning or benefits make you want one in your wallet.
- You want a card not currently open to new applications, such as Citi Dividend or AT&T Access More.
You can change most any current Citi personal card to a wide range of cards. I have 2 AT&T Access More cards and 7 Dividend cards.
Citi Credit Card Product Change Rules:
- The card must have been open for 12 months prior to conversion.
- You won’t get any sign-up bonuses.
- Conversions are scheduled for an effective date 51 days from when you request the conversion. During that period you can reverse the conversion.
- The actual change may be as quick as same-day, particularly within product family (e.g. AT&T cards).
- Once you see the new card in your account or receive the new card, the new card’s terms are effective for any future purchases, regardless of the official 51-day date.
- You’ll get charged/refunded prorated annual fees based on the 51-day date.
- Officially, the conversion will not reset the ’24-month rule’ clock for getting a new sign-up bonus on a card in the same product family IF the card number stays the same. Listen to the disclosures in your conversion call to find out if your number will change or not.
- Converting from a ThankYou point-earning card to non-ThankYou point-earning card will trigger a 60-day clock to use those points, and they’ll be the first out of your account next time you redeem ThankYou points.
- To convert to the Costco card, you must have a current Costco membership and make sure the agent attaches your Costco membership number to the conversion. My first attempt failed because my number was not attached and Citi had to restart the 51-day clock.
How to Product Change Your Citi Credit Card:
Call the number on the back of your card and ask to product change.
- If you have a Citi Prestige card, call that number regardless of what card you plan to product change. The agents in Kentucky and South Dakota are superb.
- If you are told no, HUCA (‘hang up, call again’).
- If you are told no again, say you want to cancel the account so you’ll be transferred to the retention department which is more familiar with product change.
On January 31, 2018 I called the Citi Prestige line and product changed an AT&T Access to AT&T Access More and AA Platinum to Dividend.
Citi Credit Card Product Change Options:
(as of February 2018)
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
- Citi® CashReturns® (an old 1% cash back card)
- Citi® Dividend
- Citi® Dividend World Elite (same cashback program as regular Dividend)
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Bronze Mastercard
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card
- EXPEDIA®+ VOYAGER CARD From Citi
- EXPEDIA®+ CARD From Citi
- AT&T Access More Card From Citi
- AT&T Access Card From Citi
- AT&T Universal Savings and Rewards (5x on AT&T purchases)
- Costco Anywhere Visa® Card By Citi
- Citi Simplicity® Card (I guess you can get out of one, just not into one. Update: I’ve received two reports that you can’t get out of one.)
- Sears MasterCard®
Have at it!