2017 saw a toughening mainstream manufactured spend environment, yet ‘heavy hitters’ rolled along. I know I am not finding ways to do things easy enough when I meet people who find it worth their time to even MS on 2% cards like Citi Double Cash. For me, a quarterly 5x categories are a grind.
Few big MS-ers talk much publicly. Exposure kills deals, no way to deny it. Secretive forums have transitioned to secretive Slack channels. Fewer blogs cover MS, instead turning to ‘deals’ and reselling.
‘Deals’ too often are a waste of time for too little benefit unless in a position to scale them. They are easy to blog and get the clicks.
Reselling is a real business to manage, and I am not interested.
A New Must-Read
One new blog voice in 2017 stands out: Million Mile Guy.
Jeff is a big MS-er and a thoughtful guy. He’s a lover of books and while I often don’t share his politics, I respect that he coherently speaks out on political topics.
Big MS-ers focus on depth, not breadth, finding an efficient deal and routine, then hitting it mercilessly. Jeff’s pieces force you to think about benefits and costs.
Here are 10 favorite Million Mile Guy posts:
- How I Differ With Others in the Points Hobby
- 10 Reasons Why Manufactured Spending is Not for Most People
- 88 Ways to Earn Miles & Points
- Conversations at Walmart About Manufactured Spend
- Bank Deposits and Manufactured Spend
- Manufactured Spend and Cost Per Point
- Post Office Still Alive for Manufactured Spend?
- Rogue Manufactured Spending
- Auschwitz Concentration Camp: Now and Then
- Points Goals for 2018
Jeff has also launched podcast interviews that range from points to shark diving.
Readers, what new manufactured spend blogs in 2017 became your must-reads?