Ireland, Italy and Israel are commonly excluded by the auto rental collision damage waiver (CDW) coverage of US-issued credit cards. Other countries appear, Jamaica is common, Australia, too.
Coverage terms are typically not provided online so I always study the hard copy terms when I get a new credit card. Last December I was surprised to see that my new Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card does not exclude ANY countries. In other respects it is typical credit card CDW coverage:
- Excludes “Off-road, antique or limited edition vehicles are excluded, as are trucks, recreational vehicles, campers, pick-up trucks and mini-buses.”
- Must charge entire rental to the credit card
- Must reject CDW from the rental agency
- Per rental coverage maximum of 31 consecutive days
- Maximum reimbursement of US$50,000
- Coverage is secondary, relevant only if you have auto insurance applicable to that country
- Covers only damage to the rental vehicle, meaning it is typical CDW; coverages such as liability and theft are not included (no credit card covers these)
- Plus all the typical fine print
General coverage questions: 1-866-934-1138, Mon-Fri, 7am-7pm, CT.
Claims: 1-866-491-1031, Mon-Fri, 7am-7pm, CT, claim form is here.
There are currently 2 versions of the personal ThankYou® credit cards open for new applications:
- Citi ThankYou® Premier Card (no foreign transaction fee, but $125 annual fee)
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card (3% foreign transaction fee, no annual fee)
Currently the sign-up bonuses offered on the Preferred range from 10k-15k, best to wait for 40k-50k.
From what I can see online, the Premier and regular ThankYou® also have the coverage from Chubb. I do not personally have those cards, so make sure to verify your card terms.
The critical thing, as I learned in Ireland is to have the hard copy terms of coverage or even better, a letter confirming coverage. Europcar insisted on verifying coverage for Ireland and made photocopies of my coverage. If you do not have your coverage terms, contact Citi to request a copy be mailed to you. (Note: my Ireland rental was with my Diners Club card, I did not at the time have the ThankYou® Preferred; the procedure is the same, though.)