How to go from the office beige sea to Arabian desert sands in a weekend?
Careful planning, a sense of adventure, and willful disregard of the scoffers (better yet, keep it on a need-to-know basis until you have the torn boarding passes to prove it).
A rapid checklist of my planning for 7 Emirates 24 Hours:
(detail to come on all of these in future postings)
- Find overnight flight both ways (ATL-DXB, helps to be in a hub city)
- Off-season fares (Ramadan)
- Multiple readings of the Lonely Planet guidebook sections: Getting Started, Itineraries, Directory, and Transport
- Visa requirements (none for US citizens)
- Vaccine requirements (none)
- Transport options/driving requirements (International Driving Permit)
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites (darn, none)
- Travelers’ Century Club list (jackpot, all 7 Emirates count as ‘countries’!)
- Google Maps plotting of route cross-referenced with guidebook
- Accommodation for first night (in this case, the only night!)
- Book, pack and go!