Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
On my mind: this inaugural weekday edition of the former weekly Chai Digest is for reader Shannon who is my persistent reminder of blog successes and failings.
- SEAL Team 6 and a Man Left for Dead: A Grainy Picture of Valor (NYT), catches you with that lead gif-like video
- Erdogan opens largest Turkish embassy during visit to Somalia (Africanews), this is from June, huge Turkish presence in Somalia
- Chinese-Canadians Fear China’s Rising Clout Is Muzzling Them (NYT), a look at influence projection of the Chinese Communist Power, such as the Confucius Institutes at a campus near you
- Gabon’s Leader Gives Elephants Free Rein. Rural Voters Don’t Forget. (NYT), Gabon expensive for independent travel
- McDonald’s to Remove High-Fructose Corn Syrup From Sandwich Buns (WSJ), we probably inhale high-fructose corn syrup in America’s air
- Dilbert Explains Donald Trump (WSJ), “Mr. Adams suspects Mr. Trump’s poll numbers are depressed owing to “shy Trump supporters,” who favor him but won’t admit it to others because it is socially unacceptable—or perhaps who have decided to vote for Mr. Trump but haven’t yet developed a rationalization, so they think of themselves as undecided.”
- Why Hillary Clinton Could Be a One-Term Wonder (Vanity Fair), “She’s constantly under investigation, under scrutiny, or under subpoena. For Clinton pursuers, this can mean a life-sapping obsession that leads to madness, because the smoking guns are everywhere and nowhere.“
- Google Maps Palestine row: why neutrality in tech is an impossible dream (The Guardian), Silicon Valley has all the answers until they get to the real world
- Truthdiggers of the Week: The Refugee Olympic Team (Truthdig), a lofty achievement of Rio.
- How to travel to Antarctica on a budget (GoTravelYourWay), someday I will start this pursuit
- 4 Things to Know About Camping in China (Travel China Cheaper), “yes, it is legal to camp in China. And at the same time it is illegal.”
- Qatar Airways “Free” Doha City Tour (Travelling the World), hits the main sights, of which there are few
- AwardAce: An Awesome Companion for Your Miles & Points Programs (Out and Out), new tool for me to try out
- Don’t Like American’s New Revenue-Based Mileage Earning? Here’s What You Can Do (View from the Wing), yeeeeesssss, bank them to a program with horrific customer service and few know reports of successful partner award bookings
- WOW Air now allows free 22 lb. carry-on bag, but can you pack that small? (Loyalty Traveler), are budget airlines going the way of budget hotels (e.g. free wifi) in being more reasonable than the full-service?
- How To Maximize American’s Business Extra Program (One Mile at a Time), worth a read if still flying AA
- Windows 10 Settings You Should Change Right Away (LaptopMag), I am still finding things to change