Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
Today our family of Iberia accounts got a stream of cancels for Iberia flights booked to earn Avios in the 90k promotion. The flights themselves have canceled, not just our bookings.
Others are reporting the same.
For us they are evening Santander-Madrid flights that have dropped off the schedule. These are flights probably filled with people not likely to show up.
The terms of that promotion were that to keep the promotional Avios you had to book flights and not cancel them. There was no requirement to take the flights.
Where Are Your Promotional Avios Sitting?
The deadline to use the promotional Avios was December 1, 2018, so people are in one of four groups:
- Redeemed all the Avios for flights or other awards and have already used the awards.
- Redeemed all the Avios for flights or other award and have not used the awards.
- Transferred the Avios to British Airways/Aer Lingus/Avios.com and have a negative Iberia balance.
- Lost Avios due to expiration on December 1, 2018.
We are in the second group, with upcoming travel in February and early May. The Iberia flight cancels for us are for mid to late May.
What to do?
- Do nothing
- Accept a schedule change to a different flight (seems no auto-rebooking)
- Ask for a refund
It would be cheeky to ask for a refund and hilarious after all this to get the money back, too.
More than the original money, we want to fly the awards we booked for travel on American Airlines and don’t want to risk those being canceled.
Readers, what say you?