Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
- She got an immediate $100 USD equivalent payout after we specifically asked (different than in Joburg).
- He gave her his email address and said he would email us with the flight info when the bag was placed on a São Paulo to Santiago flight.
- He told us he had a friend on LAN airlines (not a Star-Alliance partner) and would get our bag on that flight (he did not do this).
- Always ask if the bag is checked all the way through (and try to confirm it for yourself independently) or if you need to grab it at customs. In São Paulo we would have had to recheck it anyway so the whole fiasco didn’t have to happen at all. I remember when we flew through Accra, Ghana last year – we insisted to our airline escort that we wait and transfer our bags ourselves.
- The second your bag is handed off to another carrier – all bets are off.
- If your bag has not gotten to you in 24 hours it likely is deprioritized – it is not delayed, its lost.
- Star Alliance uses a systemwide lost baggage system that is (online) unreliably updated. Grab someone at your connecting airport and get their personal email. Make it their responsibility.
- I wrote a letter to South African. No response.
- I wrote a letter to the United Affiliate travel complaint dept. No response.
- I wrote to TAM airlines. Hah.