Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
I made my biannual Citi retention call and got some nice offers. The standout is my Citi Prestige Card which is my primary card for air, hotel, and dining spend so I have the most activity on it of my Citi accounts.
My Citi Prestige card:
- $200 one-time statement credit for $4,000 spend in each of next 3 months – “Umm…do you have any other offers?”
- 10,000 bonus points for $3,000 spend in 3 months – I almost took this one
- Extra 4 points per dollar at supermarkets, drugstores, and gas, up to 50,000 bonus points (net 5x) – agent helpfully suggested I buy gift cards for later use
- Extra 4 points per dollar at restaurants, up to 50,000 bonus points (net 6x)- agent said I would need to eat out a lot
- Extra 4 points per dollar at airlines, hotels, travel agencies and car rental, up to 35,000 bonus points (net 7x on airlines and hotels, 5x on travel agencies and car rental) – since I have large travel expenses upcoming (West Africa), I took it figuring I will likely do at least as well as the 10k bonus offer for $3k spend
My 2 Citi Premier cards:
- 5,000 bonus points for $1,000 spend in 3 months
- 5,000 bonus points for $1,000 spend in 6 months – this longer term might delay getting a new offer, so I took the 3 months
My AT&T Access card:
- 10,000 bonus points for $3,000 spend in 6 months
- 5,000 bonus points for $1,000 spend in 3 months – I took this one, less work than $3k spend
- 1 additional point per dollar up to 15,000 bonus points for 6 months – there is a play here for those doing well with the online shopping category bonus
My 3 ThankYou Preferred, 3 Dividend cards, and 1 American Airlines card: dinner was ready and I don’t have much MS capacity in the coming 1-2 months so I did not go through these offers.