Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
Update: enough data points coming in that this is not working. Oh well, can’t win if you don’t try. Most likely this will not change though I see no reason to rush to cancel a Citi Hilton card. See if anything changes or any offers come your way.
I’m focused initially on the Citi Hilton cards which will transition to Amex Hilton.
I am seeing entirely too many knee-jerk reactions of people closing the cards to avoid converion to Amex. Stop!
If are not in the habit of converting unused Citi cards to other, more useful cards this is a great chance to start. The Amex conversion will not happen until January 30, 2018 which is enough time to initiate and complete a Citi product conversion.
Citi conversions typically take 51 days. You’ll be send a letter with the official date. To be safe, don’t dawdle in making your request.
You can generally convert to any Citi card, including still some useful ones no longer available for new applicants or that typically have poor sign-up bonuses. When you call, you may need to tell the first agent you want to cancel to get transferred to a retention specialist more familiar with conversions. Citi will be happy to keep your business!
You should still be able to convert to:
- Citi Dividend for its quarterly 5% cash back categories (up to $300 cash back per year, can be earned even in just one quarter)
- AT&T Access More/Access for 3x/2x ThankYou points for online purchases
- Costco Anywhere Visa
- Expedia cards for whatever they offer
- ThankYou Preferred to use for future targeted spend offers and rentention offers (this will reset your ThankYou family 24-month clock, so only consider it if you are already resetting it)
- Citi Double Cash
- Even AA cards though not much point in that
Nick from Frequent Miler wrote me with to point out the possibility that Citi already closed off Hilton conversions last month, though we don’t have data points if it has reopened or will reopen. I don’t have a card to try, so you’ll have to and report back.
Our most recent conversion to a Dividend was in September.
You can have multiple Dividends by the way. I have 6. Drugstores were good to me this year.