Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
- Pencil Pushers (Bloomberg Businessweek). Pencils are now hip.
- For Those in Peril (The Economist). See the ‘How They Get There’ map of African migrants to Europe.
- Base Issues (The Economist). The map puts in perspective the amount of Okinawa occupied by US forces.
- Classical Music Philanthropy (FT). Resurrecting forgotten music.
- Lincoln at Gettysburg (National Affairs). Thoughtful exploration of the text.
- Richard Burton, Victorian Explorer (FT). “‘Ruffian Dick’ spoke 40 languages, infiltrated male brothels and Mecca and is remembered as Britain’s most flamboyant adventurer.”
- A League of His Own (Bloomberg Businessweek). Sepp Blatter and FIFA.
- How the North Ended Up on the Top of the Map (Al-Jazeera). Europe once favored maps with East on top.
- Illusions of Grandeur (Foreign Policy). Erstwhile West Papuan Independence leader handing out with soldiers of fortune in Wyoming.
- Class Warfare, 5 Miles Up (FT). Great quip on KLM, “Business class on KLM is no-nonsense. They give you one drink, then a slightly better hot meal than in the back of the plane and then… no more anything, and if you ask for even a cracker they make this face at you. It’s hard to describe . . . sort of like, ‘So you think you’re better than everyone else on this plane, do you?'”
- The People’s Republic of Cruiseland (Bloomberg Businessweek). Chinese taking to the seas, fun piece without pastiche.
- Delta, SkyTeam To Give Up Slots at JFK to Settle EU Antitrust Probe (Skift). While Delta is accusing the Gulf carriers of not playing fair.
- The Backpacker’s Guide to Eurail Passes (Part 1) (Map Happy). So many options, I always end up flying and driving in Europe.
- Secrets of the World’s Best Hotel Beds (WSJ). See the graphic on the Four Seasons bed. Any bed with only Euro style pillows is a bad sleep coming for me, in such cases I hope there is a couch cushion I can put in a pillow case.
- On Board But Never Bored (FT). Lucy Kellaway and her son take a cruise on new super-size ship Anthem of the Seas.