- Those of us with spouses who are native Wu speakers blush in familiarity at Shirtless Hangzhou man begs for wife’s forgiveness after failing to hand over wages (Shanghaiist).
- Disturbing tests of the contents of supplements, I want to see tests of Costco’s lineup, What’s in Those Supplements? (NYT).
- Robert Fisk is an incisive commentator on the Middle East, he notes The Gallipoli centenary is a shameful attempt to hide the Armenian Holocaust (The Independent).
- Bolivia’s dreams of claiming a spot of the sea from Chile in The Day of the Sea (Harper’s).
- For Saudis and Pakistan, a Bird of Contention over endangered bird hunting junket’s by wealthy Saudis in Pakistan (NYT). Back at the oil well, Saudi Arabia’s Game of Thrones (Foreign Affairs). I did not get to visit UNESCO-listed Madâin Sâlih on my visit; @drunkengrass shared that Saudi eases access to long-hidden ancient ruins (Archaeology News Network).
- New Yorkers Clamor for IDs, Swamping Mayor’s Key Project (NYT). I wish I could qualify, alas a paycheck in the city isn’t enough.
- So many mischief-makers want to scuttle any hopes for peace with Iran, Netanyahu and Boehner are wrong to think they know what Iran wants (The Washington Post) and Thomas Friedman’s take, A Bad Mistake (NYT). A good place to start it taking the opposite of any foreign policy position of Democrat Senator Robert Menendez of NJ (NYT).
- EconTalk discusses Gurgaon, the area outside New Delhi home to many foreign businesses in Alex Tabarrok on Private Cities.
- The Caribbean Has a Mosquito Problem and it Is Growing (Skift). I have rarely encountered mosquitoes in my travels of roughly half the Caribbean territories, with St Thomas the major exception.
- My 35 Top Travel Apps! (travelblawg). How many of the 35 do you use regularly? I have loads of apps and only use a handful. Frequentflier.com highlights new features of the Frommer’s Travel App.
- Kimpton is handing out selfie sticks to guests, and previously I had wanted to stay at one. Kimpton Wants You to Stick It–Selfie Stick It, That Is (HotelChatter). Always sunny Harlan makes a case for selfies sans stick, To Selfie or Not to Selfie? (Out and Out)
- The Most Important Travel Rule (Wandering Earl). Skip the lengthy prelude story and get to the conclusion: Look Up.
- Royal Caribbean to alter new dining format (Travel Weekly). Have never been on a cruise. Seems complicated. Which cruise ship has the best pizza? (USA Today). Not the question my wife will ask if we ever cruise.
- James Bond ‘Spectre’ film challenged to show true state of Rome by campaigner (The Independent).
- Usually I ignore the NYT’s travel coverage, however I have Morocco on my mind and Morocco, From Coast to Desert and companion Four Stops Across Morocco are a cut above. Also, What to Do in Anguilla. Amazingly, there are attractions beyond the exclusive resorts.