Check out our Top Rewards Cards to boost your points earning and travel more!
Avianca LifeMiles is popular for its frequent mileage bonus sales that can offer strong value for Star Alliance premium cabin awards.
Economy awards are generally poor value when purchasing their miles, especially, and oddly, awards on Avianca flights.
LifeMiles has a capable search engine. From those who frequent the program, the advice to stay sane is to book whatever the website gives. Don’t waste time trying to call the contact center for anything beyond the website’s ability.
Avianca LifeMiles Credit Card
The credit card moved to Banco Popular de Puerto Rico late last year.
The Avianca Vuela Visa has a $149 annual fee not waived first year. It comes with a 60,000 mile bonus upon first purchase.
The Avianca Vida Visa is $69 with a 40,000 mile bonus upon first purchase.
To get these increased bonuses you need to enter code: AVSPWE on the application page. Without the code, the bonuses are 40,000 and 20,000, respectively.
Disclaimer: I am not an affiliate of Banco Popular and receive no commission for your application.
LifeMiles Credit Card Value
Both cards bonus Avianca spend, which is probably not high for most of us.
For everyday spend, the Vuela earns 2 miles per dollar at gas stations and grocery stores which is a solid value.
The Vuela has additional travel benefits on Avianca:
- Two 50% discounts on award tickets redeemed, applicable for travel to Central America or Colombia from the United States
- Free additional piece of baggage for travel between the United States and Central America
Should You Get the LifeMiles Credit Card
Starting up in a new airline program you should be willing to invest the time to learn the system and manage your account. One credit card bonus is nice though alone insufficient for most travel goals.
To jump in on this you should:
- Understand the value proposition of LifeMiles
- Have a plan to use your LifeMiles
- Estimate cost of purchasing LifeMiles to top up accounts for awards (promotional bonuses are frequent and take various forms)
- Be aware that while SPG points do now transfer to LifeMiles, no major US credit card programs transfer to LifeMiles
My LifeMiles Credit Card Experience
I got the Vuela card in January. Auto-approved.
My credit report is way over ‘5/24’ in the Chase parlance.
Most reports I have heard are for approvals, with only a few denials.
Double or Triple Your LifeMiles Credit Card Miles
LifeMiles has an option to double or triple your miles earned with the credit card. You get a 44% discount off regular purchase price when doubling, 48% for tripling, plus additional 15% using the LifeMiles credit card to purchase.
Those purchases should also qualify for the credit card’s 3 miles per dollar for Avianca purchases (2 miles per dollar on the Vide card).
Add it all together and if my math is right, it is still not as good as the frequent purchase miles sales.
My offer on 60,015 miles earned first statement is $1,740.43 to triple.
- Can you get both versions of the card? At the same time?
- Can you repeatedly get the card?
- How frequently can you get the card and do you need to have closed the prior?