Picking Your Backup
You can ask IT people all day about which backup service to use and they’ll find flaws in all. I made that mistake once and after weeks was no closer to a decision until an IT friend caved and gave his blessing for Backblaze.
Backblaze meets my needs:
- No hassle background backup.
- Unlimited storage (I am sure there is a point that can be reached, however I am approaching 1 terabyte with no issues).
- Support for external drives – not easy to find at a reasonable price!
- Online file retrieval – website and mobile apps.
- Easy recovery – FedEx hard drive and flash drive options (subject to additional payment).
- Reasonable price – $50/year.
I have used Backblaze for over 2 years and am happy. This is my own paid account. Backblaze does not sponsor me. I have not had a catastrophic data loss to test their replacement drive service, however have frequently downloaded files.
First, you get a free 30-day trial.
Then, if you purchase a monthly or annual plan, and keep it for at least 45 days from purchase, you’ll get 3 bonus months added to your account. I’ll get 3 months, too.
That’s 4 free months in all.
NOTE: the offer page says you get 1 month. Backblaze says they will not update the page. They have confirmed that you will get 3 months. See here:
The normal refer-a-friend offer is just a 1-month bonus.
Protect Your Data
I know most of you have been putting off cloud backup. Take this an incentive to get started.
Once you are live, you can refer your own friends!