Filing from Charleston, S.C.
- The State of the Kurds and Arabs Fleeing Islamic State Upset Kurdistan’s Ethnic Balance (WSJ). A visit to Iraqi Kurdistan leaves anyone in awe at their recent achievements to develop a functioning, economically growing society.
- Building a Winning Political Team (WSJ). Lessons from several presidents.
- Chinese firm releases Wi-fi router with ‘pregnancy protection’ function (Shanghaiist). This is in the context of white collar Chinese women who wear radiation protection smocks during pregnancy and warily avoid office copies.
- How an Exclusive Hedge Fund Turbocharged Its Retirement Plan (Bloomberg Business). I w0uld just like to have a self-direction 401k option.
- Mitch McConnell’s Legacy (Bloomberg View). He is actually governing.
- Henry Marsh’s “Do No Harm” (The New Yorker). An eminent surgeon reflecting on the mistakes of his career.
- Cuban flag flies in Washington as relations restored (BBC News). Practicality and rationality are actually winning.
- A new future for the FT, without fear or favour (FT). New owners Nikkei: please preserve the wonderful FT Weekend!
- How to Help Students Get a Better Education and Travel More. Nomadic Matt has launched a new foundation, check it out.
- Try Traveling To and Visiting THIS Place. I Dare You… (The Gate). Andamans are fun for Sherlock Holmes fans, Nicobars will bring any traveler to tears at the vagaries of Indian bureaucracy.
- Peace and prehistory in Somaliland (FT). On the agenda for the falll!
- Luanda’s Oil Boom (The New Yorker). Word is Angola is loosening up on tourist visas. If I ever couch surf, this will be the place. Will come bearing gifts.
- The Crawick Multiverse: sandpit becomes land art (FT). New age Brú na Bóinne.
- Oneworld unveils new branding (Business Traveller). A step toward more aggressive Sky Priority-like branding? Notice how every year Delta makes the SkyTeam logo more small and faint on its elite cards?
- Greenland Day Trip from Iceland: Is it Worth It? (Wendy Perrin). If Greenland Express resumes operations, I am taking another way.
- Ethiopian forced to suspend Goma, DRC route after one flight (ch-aviation). The overland route from Kigali remains the most reliable.