The inaugural NY Trav Fest, April 20-21, is taking a young, edgy approach with sessions like, “Your Bucket List Sucks & I’m Gonna Tell You Why.”
Day 1’s program includes a series of speakers, events, films and food tasting:
- Mainstage with travel writers and media personalities.
- Local/Regional Breakout focusing on the greater NYC area
- Taste of the Hudson Valley sounds good
- Niche Breakout includes topics like Beer Travel.
Day 2 leaves the exhibition hall for a variety of NYC tours.
There are various ticket packages starting at $40 for Saturday only or $75 for both days, plus add-ons, and a $150 VIP Package that adds a Saturday cooking class and a Mexico-themed program on Sunday.
I am a fan of the work of a number of speakers like Robert Reid and Nomadic Matt, while others are new to me, so I will attend the Saturday program. I am most interested in “Contentious Topics in Travel”:
- Ancillary fees on air, hotels, car rentals
- Deals or Duds?
- What is Travel?
- Politics in Travel
- When Is It Okay to Complain About Travel?
- The Merits of Disaster Tourism
- One wild card topic via the audience
The Sunday tours are not for me, I get enough of New York on my weekdays. For those who want a fresh look at the city, there is even a Staten Island tour.
Disclaimer for miles and points addicts: there is a nary a frequent flyer program topic to be found. This is all travel. 😉